Sunday, April 6, 2014

Birthday, Bikes and Bargains

This spring's UK trip coincided with two big events - my granddaughter's 5th birthday and my son's Revolution event at the London velodrome. I was thrilled to be there for both occasions.

Birthday

The actual birthday was a school day but Bethany chose the venue for tea at a restaurant. Imagine the faces if the adults when she chose McDonalds! It was as gruesome as we imagined and will always be remembered for the ice cream fiasco - first three ordered had strange bits in them so were replaced by ordinary cones. Sadly B's ice cream dropped off the cone to the floor  after only one lick so Daddy had to get ice cream number 7! I was very jealous of the pink shoes - I had longed for similar shoes when I was young but it wasn't to be.

My Little Pony - just what she wanted
Dress up shoes and McDonalds
Birthday morning - presents and cards on the table
Charlie helped her open them
Her best friend came to have birthday tea with us
New pink wellies
Exploring her new craft box with Mummy

The birthday cake was a second appearance for Ball Gown Barbie at the special request of the birthday girl. My daughter -in-law has this cake well and truly mastered. I especially like the cake stored next to the wine in the fridge.

The creation of the Ball Gown Barbie  came and a very excited birthday girl

The birthday party itself was mostly run by the amazing Gilbert Giggles - the children had a great time and so did the adults (with a bit of help from that chilled wine!)

B enjoying the parachute games with her best friend - those are Gilbert Giggles' knickers on the TV not Granny's!

Statues

Time for tea

The finished cake


Bikes

I was so pleased to be able to attend the final of the Revolution series organised by my son which was held in the Lee Valley velodrome - the first event there since the Olympics.  We got to see the stars (check out Bethany and her cousins getting Laura Trott's autograph), eat great food (we were in the VIP enclosure after all), meet up with family and friends and see some amazing cycling.


B and Charlie dressed for the event in their Sky kit
 James in work mode
Getting Laura Trott's autograph
Telling the wife how it's going
The boss is needed
Sanding down between events
Old friends
Chris Hoy being interviewed
He may be the boss but he's our daddy first
The journey home with B being a bit squashed in the taxi

One of the things that impresses me most about the Revolution event is the support for young cyclists that it affords. Chris Hoy is the official sponsor for this innovative event.  Face partnership continue to run the London Nocturne in June and are preparing a new event in October called Park our ride for BMX cyclists and of course the Revolution series will be back in the autumn. You can check out all the events here

I am a very proud Mum!


Bargains

After all that excitement I was to spend a relaxing few days with my daughter and her wife. First I went up to White City to have coffee with her at The BBC where she is currently working.  I left my case with her and shopped till I dropped at the nearby Westfield complex. I needed the rest more than ever after all that.

The girls were running in Brighton on my departure day so were able to leave me at the airport - I'd had a lovely time.

Alison is running very day after work during Lent - a bit nippy this night check out the rosy knees
Ready for the Brighton run - thanks for a lovely visit girls.






No comments: