Sunday, September 20, 2015

Five Firsts and a Fête

An extra trip to the Uk this September to visit family started in Birmingham where I spent the last day of the summer holidays taking our grandson Sam out and about. The city was featuring an event called the Big Hoot where over 80 large owl forms had been sponsored by local businesses and decorated by local artists to reflect Birmingham past and present. We found around 35 and had great fun spotting them. I learned a lot about Birmingham and had a fun time with Sam.

First first

A lovely weekend with Sophie and Sam and then first day of the new school year had arrived. Sam was so excited because it was his first day in the Junior department of his school - a new building, a new playground and new responsibilities. He was up at the crack of dawn with his bag ready by the front door. I was delighted to be able to be there for this first in his life and to pick him up at the end of the day to hear how it had all gone.

Second first

After a couple of days R and R with my daughter and her wife I arrived in Beckenham where my grandson Charlie was looking so grown up in his uniform after having his first morning at school. He had made a new friend but didn't know his name yet and had braved the big playground to meet up with his sister at break time. He looked worn out and that night slept really well.

Third first

My granddaughter Ellie is now five and a half months old and on the move for the first time. She rolls over onto her tummy and then starts her yoga exercises with the downward dog position. Flopping down from that she pushes herself backward and makes her way round the room slowly but surely. What a delight to watch her concentrated efforts.

Fourth first

Ellie again this time starting to eat solid food. She took to finger foods straight away and attacked carrot,banana, avocado, cucumber, strawberries and sweetcorn with gusto. The other two found the mess she made very amusing and Bethany loved helping her little sister keep the goodies on her feeding tray.

Fifth first

I went to a festival. So I didn't sleep in a tent or walk through thick mud but it was a festival with real bands and entertainment. Charlie had his face painted and B had her nails painted. It was noisy and busy but great fun.

A fête

Another birthday for me. I have a new camera from Kevin and the children bought me a new ipod - most welcome as my old one is held together with tape and I listen every day to Radio 4 podcasts as I do my chores. Lunch on the river at Bordeaux had been planned but the party organiser was ill and so
we had a quiet day at home and I played with my new camera. Friends popping in and calls from the family made me feel special and the visit to Bordeaux will happen later in the year.

Now I am giving the garden it's end of summer tidy up, finishing the last of the harvesting and preserving and getting ready for our next adventure in mid October - a month in New Zealand - we are getting very excited about that. September still has some sunny days in store for us and we are looking forward to spending some of them with our lovely Australian friends who are staying nearby for two weeks.

Thanks for popping by.

A bientôt

No comments: