Friday, June 18, 2021

Broad beans are sleeping in a blankety bed.

This months title is from one of my favourite school harvest songs. It's called Paintbox and it always brings back memories of my teaching days. All the colours of the potager are here. Have a listen I am sure it will make you smile.

Potager ponders

It's a bit of a misleading title though as I have already harvested our broad beans. I sow them in the autumn and they are the first crop of the year. They are now shelled and resting in a very cold bed in the freezer ready to be used in many delicious recipes.



The unpredictable weather has made the start of the vegetable year a bit of a hit and miss affair. Too wet,  too cold and too changeable. Young plants struggled to get a good hold and some gave up thghost despite my best efforts. Finally, the soil has warmed up and those plants that made it are now responding eagerly to the sun's rays. Potatoes, onions, tomatoes, sweet corn are all doing well. Courgettes and squash are making an effort and I will be starting to sow carrots, parsnips and fennel this week. Despite the ups and downs the potager is always my happy place and hopefully, the bad start will soon be a distant memory and I will be tussling with my giant tomato plants as usual.






I don't spend all my gardening time in the potager, we do have flowers too!














Coming out

We have been out out!! We had a fun day in May. One of our friends has qualified as a wedding celebrant and the lovely Manoir de Biraud Bas was the venue for a wedding photoshoot. What a beautiful place to get married or renew your vows! 





Aperos at our local bar in the sunshine and this week to the cinema whoop, whoop it felt so good. The vaccination programme is rolling out well in France and from June 9th restrictions will be eased even more. 

We have even dared book a trip away for my birthday in early September. I have wanted to visit Les Jardins Suspendus de Marqueyssac -just into the Dordogne so not far but it will feel so liberating to actually leave home for a few days.



P. S.

The world is still an angry divided place and I am saddened by much of it. Division and hatred being fanned by those who should be uniting us. This image sums up my feelings about accepting others. I wish you all love and friendship. 

A bientôt.






1 comment:

Alison Pope said...

Garden is looking great!